Welcome to Easterside Academy!
Bienvenue à Easterside Academy
Willkommen bei der Easterside Academy
Bine ați venit la Easterside Academy
Hûn bi xêr hatin Akademiya Easterside
Witamy w Easterside Academy
Benvenuto in Easterside Academy
مرحبا بكم في أكاديمية ايسترسايد
ایسٹرسائڈ اکیڈمی میں خوش آمدید
Our vision for the teaching of Modern Foreign Languages is that all language learners develop the skills and confidence to consider themselves as ‘World Citizens’ who belong in a multicultural, mutually respectful world. We aim to support students to understand other countries and cultures so that they can be more open and adaptable to new experiences. We are committed to developing strong, lifelong linguistic skills and to encourage students to become curious and interested in the world. Ultimately, we want our students to have a love of languages and aim to achieve this by nurturing a linguistic curiosity and an intrinsic motivation to explore and respect other cultures and people.
At Easterside Academy we aim to ensure that all pupils:
- Deepen their understanding of the world.
- A strong awareness of the culture of the countries where the language is spoken.
- Understand and respond to spoken and written language.
- Speak with increasing confidence, communicating what they want to say and improving their accuracy and punctuation.
- Can write at varying lengths for different purposes.
- Discover and develop an appreciation of the languages studied.
The learning is based on four key concepts:
This concept involves recognising key vocabulary and phrases.
This concept involves using key vocabulary and phrases to write ideas.
This concept involves using key vocabulary and phrases to verbally communicate ideas.
Understand the culture of the countries in which the language is spoken
This concept involves the background knowledge and cultural capital needed to infer meaning from interactions.
At Easterside Academy we have a particular focus on learning the French language although we do engage in learning around other countries, culture and languages through termly ‘Cultural Days’ in each team. These opportunities are deliberately and carefully mapped out across the whole school in our long term plan.
Opportunities for specific French and MFL teaching in KS2 include:
- National European Day of Languages (Autumn Term)
- 3 x Half Term 'blocks' of weekly French lessons for KS2
- Cultural Days - One per term are mapped out for each team, linked to their curriculum topic.
Children are taught to explore language through songs, rhymes, poems and stories, speak in sentences and engage in conversations. They will be able to present ideas and express their opinions, writing phrases from memory.